Sunday, January 5, 2014

One World? Not Yet!


One World?  I don't think so.  I've been on the phone all morning trying to arrange for disability services for Dwight on the flights for our upcoming trip.  The problem is we're ticketed on code share flights, the bane of both travel agents and travelers.  The airlines cooperate up to a point, that point being any convenience to the client.  First, while we were provided with the Record Locator for the American Airlines flights, we weren't given the Record Locators for the Cathay Pacific or Japan Airlines flights, so there is no way to book seats.  You're just told they'll be assigned at the airport.  On top of that, it's getting harder and harder to talk to a person on the phone.  You have to be really persistent to get anything done.  An hour after I started, I talked to a helpful agent at AA who ordered wheelchair service throughout the trip and gave me the booking numbers for CP and JAL; however, the CP website didn't recognize the booking number and JAL has no option to manage flights on line, so now it's more hours on the phone trying to get seat assignments.  I've done this for clients before so knew what I was getting into when I started.  When will the airlines finally discover that profitability is all about customer service?  Not any time soon, I fear.   Blogs shouldn't be for grousing but I can't seem to help myself when it comes to airlines (and TSA).  Anybody remember the days when we dressed in our Sunday best, arrived at the last minute, and sat in comfortable seats while being served a hot meal, even in coach on even the shortest airplane trip?  Those days are gone with the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment