Monday, April 16, 2018

Aaahhhh......Africa


Who was it that said, "You can't go home again?"  That's probably true, but you can recognize a place as home when you return, despite changes in you and in that place.  Home is truly portable.  I have always felt at home in Africa, and I'm happy that has not changed.  I also recognize the features of Durango that remind me of Africa and make me feel at home--the endless sky, the changing light, the bush that mixes harshness with beauty.  When we arrived at Jomo Keyatta airport, I felt like I had come home.

I'm here with 7 other travel agents on a study tour.  I'd love to share this beautiful place with clients, but I need to update my current knowledge.  I shouldn't be sending people to the Thorn Tree bar at the New Stanley Hotel since I just learned that the thorn tree has been cut down.  Unfortunately, we will have no time to explore Nairobi.  After a long journey from Washington Dulles Airport, including a long layover in Amsterdam, we did not arrive at our destination until after 9 p.m.  A long ride to Hemingways Hotel and we crashed, only to be up early the next morning to catch a flight to our first destination -- Lewa Safari Lodge in Lewa Conservancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment