Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Sunday in the Park without George

Sunday, Mother's Day, the last day of our visit to The Big Apple, dawned sunny and bright  My fellow travelers opted for another day at the museums, but I still hadn't had my fill of theatre and decided to strike out to see what I could find.  The TKTS booth at Times Square was offering discounts on Peter and the Starcatcher and I remembered the good things said about that play at last year's Tony's, but I couldn't face standing in line.  So I googled the location of the theatre.  It was on 50th between 8th and 9th, only a few blocks away, so off I went to the Box Office where I scored one ticket, 5th row center, for the 3:00 p.m. matinee.

With the afternoon settled, I had the rest of the morning free.  I decided to wander downtown and possibly go to the Library or to Macy's for some shopping.  I crossed to Midtown on 42nd street, second only to Times Square in garishness. 
 
I ended up at Bryant Park and remembered why it's one of my favorite spots in New York.  The lawn was filling up with picnickers, fathers were introducing their children to the Merry-Go-Round, people were enjoying sack lunches midst the sun, shade and flowers, and I decided to treat myself to a Mother's Day Brunch at the Bryant Park Grill.  It was a lovely day.  Sam called to wish me a Happy Mother's Day while I was enjoying my brunch.  After my leisurely meal, I had just enough time to take the Subway back to Broadway and wander over to the Starcatcher venue at New World Stages (review to follow).

In the evening, we decided to indulge Marilyn's request for Thai food, so, in spite of Judith's misgivings, we went to the Broadway Thai restaurant which was across the street from the Gershwin Theatre where we had seen Wicked.  Just like the French restaurant I had eaten in two days earlier, it looked like a hole in the wall, but it was run by Thais and the food was great.  New York is an amazing place!

No comments:

Post a Comment