Saturday, May 18, 2013

A Toast to Travel

A Toast to Broadway
Journey ended, experiences over, everything back to the day-to-day, and, comfortable at home, I'm finishing off this blog while planning my next trip.  It was a great Broadway fix and has given me lots of good memories and lots to think about over the coming months.  The trip home reminded me how much I hate to fly! In future, I think I'll skip the long weekend trips and opt for longer, more relaxing stays. I also learned to take only taxis from LaGuardia...forget shared transport.

On this trip I finally managed not to mouth off to TSA Nazis; I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.  A well-dressed black man stopped me to ask directions when I was returning home after walking my dog yesterday.  I recognized an African accent and when I learned he was from Tanzania, I invited him home for a cold drink.  Dwight and I have only good memories of our time in East Africa and I thought Dwight might enjoy meeting him as well.  We enjoyed the visit and memories of Africa.  He commented he was surprised I would invite a stranger into our home, and I responded that I'm glad I haven't participated in the nation's current paranoia. Travel expands your horizons only if you let it.  For me, it's not about museums, or even plays.  It's about changing your usual patterns, adapting to unusual environments, overcoming fears, exploring your own prejudices, meeting new people, and seeing things with new eyes.  New York is a great place to accomplish all of that.  Now on to the Far East.  We're planning a cruise to Vietnam and Thailand in January and I'm already looking forward to blogging all about it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment