Wednesday, April 1, 2015

On Vacation

Whoohoo!  It’s time for my vacation.  The word vacation comes from the Latin vacare which means to be unoccupied.  Where does “unoccupied” end and “boredom” begin?  I plan to make that my course of study over the next few weeks.  My theory is that boredom is a curse of the young.  How can you be bored with books, good food, interesting people, your own thoughts, and the following sea?  Personally, I’m fonder of the second meaning of the verb “vacare” which is “to make empty.”  I plan to vacate all responsibility for daily chores, vacate bad mental habits, and vacate all ideas about dieting.  I plan on emptying it all out and filling it all back up again. 


The idea of taking a “vacation” is a fairly recent phenomenon, maybe two centuries old.  However it came about, I’m in favor of it.   The British still call it a holiday, based on the ancient festival holy days.  Time apart from the daily cares of the world is holy indeed.  Come along with me on my blog and you, too, can have a vacation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment