Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Scatter shooting from the Persian Gulf/Arabian Sea






Yesterday we moved from the hotel to the Azamara Quest.  We had planned to visit the meeting of the Rotary Club of Dubai, but it was unfortunately scheduled for 1:30 p.m. while we were stuck on the Quest waiting for access to our cabin, so we just unpacked and enjoyed drinking and dining without having to make any real decisions.  Today we took a taxi to town, visited the Dubai Mall, and rode the elevator all the way to the top (148th floor) of the Burj Khalifa.  Some scattered thoughts:

·         If you’ve seen one mall, you’ve seen ‘em all – until you visit the Dubai Mall.

·         I’m not much of a shopper.

·         We are lucky to live in a country where people generally follow the rule of law (except the occasional old lady who appears on city streets with an “open container”).  Corruption is a way of life in a large part of the world.  While the taxis here have a sign saying “ride is free if meter doesn’t run,” many (NOT ALL) of the taxi drivers want to negotiate.

·         I’m not a very good negotiator.
The Souks in the Dubai Mall

·         The Emirates, from what we’ve seen, are clean and elegant – a refreshing and tolerant island in the chaos that is the Middle East.  It gives one hope.

·         I have no quarrel with Islam which, at its heart, is all about peace.  I do have a problem with angry young men who have no purpose other than destruction.

·         On the 148th floor of the Birj Khalifa, we were at 848 meters.  We live at 2000 meters.  It gives you perspective.

·         If you wear a burka, it solves the problem of, “What shall I wear today?”

·         If you wear a burka, why do you need to shop on Fashion Street at the Dubai Mall?
From the top of the world

·         Sometime I wish I wore a burka.

·         A city on the edge of the desert can be very humid.  I guess because it’s also on the edge of the sea.

·         Pulling away from a port and into the sea is ALWAYS a special moment.  So is pulling into a new port.  Travelling by ship is special.

·         A young Kenyan was part of the security guard at the top of Birj Khalifa.  He didn’t remember when the US Embassy was in the Cotts House in Nairobi.  That was two US Embassies ago.  Made me feel old! 

·         Tonight we had an Elton John performer.  I have friends who love opera and classical music which appeal to the intellect and the emotions.  Elton John appeals to the physical.  I love it!  Made me move. Made me feel young!

·         After the performance, in the lounge, I came across a jigsaw puzzle which had been assembled and folded and placed back in the box.  I dumped it out, tore it apart and thought I was doing a favor to the new voyagers who would have a chance to reassemble it.  It occurred to me, however, that war has been a constant disassembling and reassembling of the same jigsaw puzzle.  Maybe it’s time for the world to come up with a new model for assembly.

·         We’ve been told we’ll have a security detail board the ship in Oman and stay with up through the Suez Canal.  I’m glad.

·         A ship you’ve sailed on before feels like home.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like great fun, I agree about the excitement of pulling out of, or into, port. However, having trouble with the image of trying to live daily life in a burqa , no matter how convenient (gardening, anyone).

    ReplyDelete