Saturday, September 28, 2024

Back in Paradise

Today, I played the tourist. I'm a pretty good traveler, but I'm not much of a tourist. The nice thing about travelling is that it opens all the senses; routines tend to shut them down. There's no need to pay attention when you do the things demanded of you while you're following a day-to-day routine, but get yourself out on strange roads with strange surroundings and strange people, and immediately all the senses awaken and bid you Pay Attention. Tourism, on the other hand, requires putting up with long lines, long dissertations on the site, and loud chatter and pushing of those around you. I guess it's patience that I lack. I took the lake road to Annecy (for some reason, the GPS brought me to Talloires on the long, windy mountain road) and fell in love with the city again, only to be turned in the opposite direction when I became a tourist. I bought a ticket for a boat tour of the lake. Immediately, I was rushed to eat lunch, I waited 15 minutes in line for the boat to load (obviously, not in Switzerland any more) and endured a crowded boat, tired and screaming kids, and a guide speaking loudly into a distorted microphone. It's hard to destroy this beautiful, peaceful place, but the boat managed to do it. Now I'm back in paradise and happy I chose Talloires over Annecy. It's my retreat, and I'm at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment