Sunday, September 29, 2024

Reboot

What a magnificent day! One thing computers have taught us is that we should reboot when too much data piles up and confusion reigns. This reboot has been perfect. It started 4 days ago in the pouring rain when I drove from Geneva to Talloires, not being able to see the panoramic view of the lake and its villages. Each day was drizzly with the rain stopping at fortuitous moments for walks, but leaving a calm and cozy atmosphere indoors. And then this morning the sun rose gloriously in the East proclaiming that the storm was over and a new day was at hand. I had a great night's sleep, a delicious gourmet breakfast in the hotel's dining room, and a healthy walk around the Baie of Talloires. Skulls slipped through the water, hang gliders filled the air, and the sun warmed the back of my neck. Perhaps I'm feeling peaceful because I haven't turned the news on since I left home. Rested and rebooted! The afternoon was another tourist opportunity, but more pleasant than the rainy boat ride. I visited the beautifu Chateau of Menthon St. Bernard. It is a private Chateau still owned by the same family for almost one thousand years. Sitting high on a hill above the lake, the chateau, with its turrets and stone bastions is said to have inspired Walt Disney to create his Sleeping Beauty castle.
All of the thousands of books in the Chateau's library date from before the days of the French Revolution, 1789. They even have a first edition of Diderot's first Encyclopedia, one of the first attempts to gather all the knowledge in the world. The only glitch in the day was the number of people. This must be the spot locals go to on a weekend to get away. The narrow mountain roads were buzzing, not only with angry little European cars, but with hundreds of bicycles out for a "course", as well as pedestrians and motorbikes. Did I mention earlier opening the senses to Pay Attention? I was flat out scared as I navigated the narrow roads to the castle. And when I returned our quiet little bay had filled with people and was bustling with activity. I think I picked the right time to come if this is what summertime is like. Overtourism (over population) is ruining the world. Tomorrow, I'll make a fairly early departure for Switzerland and a nostalgic visit to the small town of Collex-Bosey where we lived in the 80's. United confirmed my upgrade to business class for the 9 and a half hour flight from Geneva to Dulles, Life is sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment