Monday, September 23, 2024

Change in Latitude--Change in Attitude

Sunset over Perins Peak bids me farewell

It's been since before COVID shut everything down that I've taken a trip by airplane.  It's time.  Tomorrow, I depart for France for a week of self-care.  It's going to be a true vacation, meaning I plan to vacate what has become a miserable attitude and replace it with a sunny, optimistic approach to what is left of my life.  Oh well, it's worth a try. 

My destination is Talloires, a small village in the Haute-Savoie region of France.  It borders on Lac Annecy, a beautiful little lake surrounded by green mountains and picturesque villages.  At an altitude of only ca. 1500 feet, it should provide enough oxygen for my complete regeneration and transformation. 😊 I just checked the weather and can expect cool days with rain.  Perfect...perfect for reading, reflecting, writing and regenerating! My hotel even has a spa and the massage is booked.

But first I'll land in Geneva, a city where Dwight and I (and Sam) lived for 3 years during the 80's.  I'll have an opportunity to revisit old haunts and reminisce on times spent in that glorious city and country.  It's where I first learned to fall in love with mountains, skiing and Gruyere (not to mention wine). 

The Beautiful City of Geneva


Geneva is on the southern border of Lake Geneva, a large lake which collects the waters of the River Rhone and then sends them south.  The southern shore of the lake is French, while the Jura Mountains lie to the east and Lausanne and Montreux are to the North. It is a true international city, home to many United Nations agencies such as WHO and ILO.  In fact, I once worked at WHO for a summer replacing one of the administrative assistants who was on leave.  

The old town is noted for its walls where the city's troops successfully defended Geneva from the troops of the Duke of Savoy in 1602.  Immediately afterwards, Calvin ruled the city during the Reformation. Dwight once ran a marathon there in under 4 hours.  The route encompassed the famous quay which provides splendid walks around the lake with views of Mont Blanc. It's a beautiful city, and if it's not on your bucket list, it should be. 

My flight leaves at 7 a.m. tomorrow morning, travelling to Denver and Newark, and finally arriving at Geneva at 7 a.m. the next morning.  My bags are packed; I'm READY TO GO!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment