Saturday, December 1, 2012

A Journey to Nowhere


I in no way mean to imply that Albuquerque is nowhere, but as the first leg of a journey, it's less than exciting. I think it'll be more exciting when we come home and have a day to shop at Trader Joe's and Sam's and all those other exciting shopping venues. Now you know how dull my life really is.

I wonder why after all these years of living abroad I've never learned to pack lightly? This morning was a blur of hangers and underwear and toiletries. At this point I have no memory of what actually made it into my bag. We were as far as Durango's Home Depot when I realized that I had left both my sun glasses and my rain jacket at home. Dwight politely declined to return home to collect them, but I politely suggested that 20 minutes lost on the way out of town might be preferable to an entire voyage lost listening to his wife bitching. He agreed. You see why our marriage has lasted 40 years?

Now the packing is all done and we're relaxed and ready to launch ourselves towards the warm waters of the Caribbean with a 4:00 a.m. call in the morning. The real journey will begin, but the every day has already been vacated.

1 comment: