Saturday, October 22, 2016

Rolling, rolling, rolling on the river...


Our first day on the river dawned cold and rainy, but that was OK.  The Avalon Panorama Suites are made for cold and rainy days.  Somehow Avalon managed to face the beds in the room towards the river.  It's absolutely mesmerizing to lay there pretending you're reading and watching the countryside and occasional quaint village pass by.  The bathroom is even a decent size; you can drop your soap in the shower and bend down to pick it up.  I came here for a true relaxing vacation, and I can already feel my blood pressure dropping.

There aren't many Americans on this boat.  (I finally decided this is a boat, not a ship because a ship should be sea-going.  You can join that argument if you'd like because it appears to be ongoing.) Mainly, we've met Brits, Aussies, and Canadians.  I'm making an effort to remember names . So far we've met Croyden and Valerie, Mike and Judy, James and Gracia, Peter and Pam, Gavin and Stephanie and Linda.  You'd be surprised how someone's head snaps up when you call their name after meeting them once. I figure it's a good brain exercise.

Our Panorama Suite
This afternoon we visited a cold and rainy Koln (Cologne) just long enough to take a peak at the magnificent cathedral and to sample several authentic Kolsch beers.  I remember this kind of weather from our three years in Geneva, Switzerland...perfect weather for ducking into a warm pub to sample the local brew/wine/brandy!  That's my kind of travel.


No comments:

Post a Comment