Saturday, April 21, 2012

Corfu Town

Corfu Old Fort

It was really good to arrive back in Greece.  Evidently, the sun is happier there as well because Apollo greeted our arrival and never really left.  My talk had originally been scheduled for 8:30 in the morning, but since we went through a time change and 8:30 would’ve been 7:30 on our body time, the Cruise Director happily suggested that lecture time be changed to 4:30.  That would be before All Aboard time, so there wouldn’t be many people on the ship, but the later time still worked better for me.

The ship offered a shuttle into town, so we took it to the large main square and were rewarded with a beautiful view of the Old Fort.  Corfu was controlled for many years by Venice; the buildings are squarely built and have a yellowish tint.  The Main Square and streets leading from it were very accessible, so we found a nice sidewalk restaurant and had a delicious fish soup for lunch.  I tried to remember all the Greek we had learned last year.  Wanting to be prepared for my afternoon talk, we returned to the ship after lunch for a nap and shower.  Do you think Americans are getting ruder every yeard?  It's always really a scramble to board a bus, and handicapped seem to be last.  I would say it's because we don't teach manners any more, but my generation has no excuse.  We were actually taught; we've just forgotten.
Main Square, Corfu Town

The evening lecture was, unsurprisingly, sparsely attended.  It was the Iliad and Odyssey talk I practiced on Camarata before departure.  That time, it took me a little over an hour.  Last night, it took about 40 minutes.  I’m learning that the Cruise Director was right—that’s about the extent of the attention span of cruisers.  I am, however, getting the same people attending and they seem to appreciate my efforts.  I’m looking forward to giving the talk on Venice since it will be the only one that actually works well for this voyage.   

No comments:

Post a Comment