Sunday, April 22, 2012

Now we've Done Dubrovnik

Old Town Dubrovnik

We both liked Dubrovnik.  We docked a good distance from the town and the ship again supplied a complimentary shuttle.  After our experience with the crowds flocking onto the shuttle in Corfu, we decided to take a taxi into town.  The driver, of course, offered us a special panoramic tour for 50 Euro, so we took him up on it.  It was well worth the money (which would’ve cost twice that per person if we had taken the ship’s shore excursion.)  It was an hour’s drive up the cliff and along a spur which separated the coast from an inland river.  It was a beautiful drive and our taxi driver, although dour in the old Communist style, was friendly.  We saw much of “new” Dubrovnik—the city had been rebuilt after the Serbs bombed it in 1991-92.  It’s hard to believe that actually happened with no one in the world lifting a finger.

We were dropped off at the entrance to the World Heritage Site Old Walled City which has a long entry way with flat paving stones, easy enough for Dwight to manage.  We found a comfortable bar where Dwight perched while I made a small tour.  The highlight was the Maritime Museum which had models of all the sailing ships that had sailed the Adriatic waters since the Greek trireme. 
Back on the ship for a noon departure, everyone was complaining that we didn’t have enough time in Dubrovnik, but I was happy since my last talk was scheduled for 5:30 and everyone would finally be on board.  The talk, which concerned Venice’s part in the Fourth Crusade, attracted twice the usual crowd and was very well received even though I had shortened it almost in half.  I feel a little like I’m getting my mojo back; I wonder where it went?  One friendly Texan even offered to buy me a drink afterwards.  It reminded me of how much I sometimes miss friendly Texans, and to put the cherry on the top, it turned out he attended the same elementary school I had attended in Houston.  Small world.  Sleep on that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment