Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Zakynthos




This felt like a good time to take a day off, so we filled out our form for breakfast in bed. That's a lovely concept, to have someone bring your coffee to your room. The food doesn't interest me so much, but coffee before facing other people seems to be a civilized way of approaching life. We were actually up in time to shower and dress before the coffee arrived and enjoyed the coffee and the view from our veranda. The next order of business was laundry, but I guess two hours spent in the launderette is not interesting enough to blog about. It was, however, a nice and uneventful morning with clean and pressed clothes and a cleaned and pressed mind as the outcome. We finally ventured ashore on the 11:00 a.m. shuttle. Zakynthos is one of my favorite islands. It's very small and relatively quiet, although there are still a lot of British tourists puttering about in many angry, small cars. We took a little tourist train which showed us all of the town there was to show...not much. Then we took a taxi up to the high spot (the acropolis) where we found a litle cafe. I tried out my Greek on the waitress who looked at me with a strange expression. She was Ukranian, and very nice. Oh well, at least she wasn't a Brit (sorry Steph and Susan). After a nice Greek meze we had her call a taxi to come pick us up and it actually worked. We have since learned that most of the taxi drivers in Greece are on strike, but at least they were still running in Zakynthos. Back to the town where Dwight went to the port and I went to the Byzantine Museum, a disappointment. So I muddled through the heat to the tender and poured myself aboard (did I mention it is hot?). Back on the ship early, nap, Happy Hour in Horizons, four course meal in the Main Dining Room, Dwight did he RFID business in his natty new hat. Life aboard ship is tough but we're muddling through.

No comments:

Post a Comment